Injured While Out of State or on Vacation? Here Are the Steps You Should Take

by Rosen & Ohr, P.A. | Personal Injury

personal injury lawyers in hollywood FLEach year, people from all over the country flock to Florida’s beaches and other attractions for a warm-weather getaway. Unfortunately, some of these people will end up injured due to unforeseen accidents while on vacation.

While dealing with an accidental injury is difficult anywhere, it can be particularly complicated when the accident occurs while you are traveling or are on vacation. Tourists who are injured away from home find themselves removed from their doctors and other essential points of contact for an injury.

If you were injured in or around Hollywood, Florida, while on vacation or visiting from another state (this is a common occurrence among Snowbirds in Florida), the personal injury lawyers of Rosen & Ohr, P.A. are ready to fight for you. Here are some helpful tips on how to deal with your vacation injury.

Steps to Take If You Are Hurt While on Vacation

The steps to take after an out-of-state accident are similar to those you would take in-state. Here are some of the most important things to do:

  1. Call 911.
  2. If it was a car accident  or truck accident, collect the other driver’s insurance information.
  3. Listen to any police officers or EMTs who arrive at the scene and follow their instructions.
  4. Even if you did not need an ambulance, seek immediate medical attention. Do not wait until you go back home.
  5. Save all medical documentation from your visit.
  6. If it was a car accident, report the crash to your insurance company.
  7. If you were admitted to a hospital, wait until you have been released and cleared for travel to return home.
  8. Once you are home, follow the doctor’s instructions for recovery and follow up as needed.

Once you have dealt with the immediate fall-out of the accident, you can decide how to handle your claim.

The Claims Process in Out-of-State Cases

If you are only filing an insurance claim, the claims process will work much in the same way for an out-of-state case as it would for an in-state case. However, if you plan on filing a personal injury suit, the fact that the injury happened out-of-state will make the process somewhat more complicated.

The chief difficulty will be deciding where to sue. Vacation injuries often involve a number of different jurisdictions, or areas over which different courts have authority. Various parties may live in different states. You can always sue in the state where the accident happened. In some specific cases, you may be able to take legal action in your home state as well. An example might be if you pursue a lawsuit against a company that also does business in your home state. Once you have decided where to file your claim, the process happens much in the same way as any other personal injury case.

Contact a Florida Personal Injury Attorney Today

If you have been injured while on vacation in Florida, you should hire an experienced Florida lawyer to help. A local lawyer is more familiar with the laws and the legal system where the accident occurred. An attorney in your home state will likely lack the credentials necessary to handle a case in Florida.

The Hollywood, Florida, personal injury attorneys of Rosen & Ohr, P.A. have years of experience fighting for clients whose vacations have gone wrong. For more information on how we can help, contact us today.


Rosen & Ohr, P.A. is a personal injury law firm representing injured clients in Fort LauderdaleHollywood, and throughout South Florida.