Uber Accident Attorney in Hollywood, FL
Ride-sharing apps like Uber can be very helpful when you want to get somewhere in Hollywood, Florida, without having to drive yourself, but they’re not without risk. You’re at the mercy of the driver who picks you up – and everyone else on the road.
Car accidents can happen even if your driver is extremely careful on the road. When accidents happen and involve Uber drivers – whether they were carrying a passenger or not – it can be a challenge to determine who is liable for your injuries and how you can recover compensation.
If you’ve been involved in an Uber accident or a collision involving another ride-sharing app, it’s important to get a knowledgeable car accident attorney on your side as soon as possible. The Hollywood Uber accident lawyers at Rosen & Ohr have been helping Florida residents with personal injury cases for more than 45 years. Our attorneys are highly respected in their fields. Ronald Rosen is a former judge and prosecutor who’s been certified by the Florida Bar as an expert in Civil Trial Law. Fellow attorney Jerrad Ohr is one of the youngest lawyers to ever be admitted to the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Our experience, knowledge base, and dedication make us the ideal choice to handle your Uber accident claim in Hollywood, Florida. To learn more about how we can help you, call us or visit our contact page to schedule your free initial consultation.
What to Do When You’re Involved in an Uber Accident in Hollywood, Florida
While there are some potential complications when it comes to insurance claims after an Uber accident, the basic steps immediately after an accident are essentially the same as with any other car crash.
If you’re involved in an Uber accident, stay calm and follow these tips:
- Call 911 and seek medical treatment immediately. You may have serious injuries after an accident, and the same may be true of other drivers or passengers involved in the crash. Even if you seem to be OK at first, you may have serious internal injuries that aren’t immediately obvious but still require treatment. If you need to go to the emergency room, do so promptly. If you feel well enough that an ER visit is not necessary, be sure to see your doctor for a full exam as soon as you can. Quick treatment is the best way to maximize your chance of a full recovery after an accident, and your doctor will make an official record of any injuries you sustained. Calling 911 will also bring law enforcement to the accident scene so they can begin their investigation. You’ll want their accident report if you wish to pursue a claim for damages later on.
- Take pictures of the crash scene and your injuries. Be sure to include pictures of the damage to the vehicle you were in, any damage to other vehicles, the surrounding area, any road or weather hazards that might have contributed to the accidents, nearby traffic signs, any surveillance cameras that might have recorded what happened, etc.
- Get contact information from everyone involved in the crash. This includes their names, phone numbers, mailing addresses, email addresses, license plates, driver’s license numbers, and insurance information. If there are witnesses who saw what happened, get contact information for them as well.
- Notify Uber through the app. If you were an Uber customer using the service at the time of the crash, you should be able to use the app to notify Uber that you’ve been in a crash.
- Speak to an attorney as soon as possible. If you’ve been hurt in an Uber accident, getting started on your accident claim right away will make the process go much more smoothly. Once you’ve hired a lawyer, they can start gathering evidence to help support your claim, handle the initial paperwork, and begin negotiations with the opposing insurance companies while preparing your case for trial.
Are Passengers Protected In An Uber Accident?
Because most Uber drivers do not use commercial vehicles when they drive, nor do most of them have a commercial driver’s license, Uber provides commercial insurance coverage for all of their drivers.
This $1 million policy covers drivers and their passengers from the moment a driver accepts a trip until the trip is completed and the passengers have left the vehicle. If you are a passenger in an Uber vehicle and you’re involved in an accident, you should be covered by Uber’s commercial insurance coverage.
Who Is Liable for an Uber Accident in Florida?
The liable parties in an accident will depend on the circumstances of the case, including whether the Uber driver had any passengers in the vehicle, whether the Uber driver caused the accident or not, etc. Let’s look at a few examples:
- If an Uber driver is involved in an accident in which a passenger was injured and Uber the driver caused the accident, the driver can be held liable for any damages to their passenger. The injured passenger may be able to file a claim against Uber and their insurance company as well.
- If an Uber passenger is injured in an accident caused by another vehicle, the Uber driver and Uber itself generally won’t be held liable. However, the injured passenger can pursue a claim against the driver who caused the accident.
- If an Uber driver is involved in a crash when they are not carrying any passengers, liability will depend on who caused the accident. If the Uber driver caused the crash, they can be held liable and Uber itself may be liable as well. If the Uber driver did not cause the crash, the other driver will be responsible for covering any damages.
Generally speaking, when an Uber driver is at fault, potential coverage from Uber’s commercial insurance will depend on whether the driver was logged into the system and available, driving to pick up an Uber customer, transporting an Uber customer, or driving while logged out of the app.
Types of Compensation Available after a Hollywood Uber Accident
As is the case with liability, compensation after an Uber accident can be difficult to sort out. The potential compensation you could receive will depend on whether you were a passenger in the Uber vehicle, whether the Uber driver was on duty or not, and other factors. Here are a few examples:
- Uber has a $1 million insurance policy that covers all passengers once the driver has accepted a trip from someone through the Uber app. If you are a passenger in an Uber vehicle and you are injured in a crash that was caused by the Uber driver, you can file a claim against Uber’s insurance policy.
- If you are injured by an Uber driver who was on their way to pick up a passenger, the $1 million dollar policy also applies, and you can file a claim against Uber.
- If you are injured by an Uber driver who is logged into the app and waiting for their next trip, the compensation works slightly differently. In these situations, Uber’s insurance covers $50,000 per person or $100,000 per accident for bodily injuries, along with $25,000 per accident for any damaged property. You can still file a claim against Uber in these circumstances, and you may be able to file a claim against the driver’s personal insurance provider as well.
- If you are injured by an Uber driver who has logged out of the app, Uber’s commercial insurance coverage no longer applies. You can file a claim against the driver and their insurer, but you will not be able to file a claim against Uber itself.
Once you have filed a claim against Uber, the Uber driver, or both, you can pursue compensation for a wide range of economic damages and other losses. These include:
- Any medical bills related to the accident (prescription medications, hospital stays, physical therapy, doctor’s visits, lab work, diagnostic exams, etc.)
- The cost of any future medical care you might need
- Any property that was damaged in the crash
- Any lost wages while you missed work because of the accident
- Your reduced future earning capacity due to your injuries
- Your physical pain and mental anguish
- Any loss of emotional or financial support from family members who may have been hurt in the crash
Contact a Hollywood, FL Uber Accident Lawyer Today
Ridesharing accidents are increasingly common as Uber and its competitors like Lyft become more and more popular in Hollywood and throughout Florida. These accidents can present complex liability issues, making it harder for you to obtain the compensation you deserve after an accident. To make sure you recover what you’re entitled to after an Uber accident, you’ll want to retain the services of an experienced attorney like the ones at Rosen & Ohr.
During our more than four decades helping Florida residents with personal injury claims, we’ve helped our clients recover millions of dollars in compensation. We firmly believe everyone is entitled to high-quality legal representation, which is why we use a contingency fee structure for personal injury claims. This means that you don’t owe us any attorney’s fees or other fees unless and until we collect compensation on your behalf.
We want to help you with your Uber accident case however we can. Call us or visit our contact page today for your free initial consultation.